Cerro Colorado (4,990 m / 16,371 ft) is colorful mountain known also as “Rainbow mountain” because the colors make it look like rainbow. Apart from offering you a beautiful scenery of this unique mountain, all surroundings are just spectacular because of its high elevation.
Rainbow Mountain Hike – Overview
Day 0 .- Rainbow Mountain Hike : Pre-departure briefing
Day 1 .- Cusco – Checacupe – Culli Tarwi
Day 2 .- Culli Tarwi – Cerro Colorado (Rainbow mountain) – Cusco
Rainbow Mountain Hike – Pre-departure briefing
One day before your trek in a pre-set time your guide will meet you in your hotel to give you the last details about the trek.
Day 1.- Cusco – Checacupe – Culli Tarwi
Early in the morning by 6am we will pick you up from your hotel for a 3 hour drive to the beginning of our adventure. Along the way you will stop at the town of Checacupe to check part of the Inca bridge and the working colonial bridge from XII century. After a brief stop here, we will continue on our journey towards Quesiuno village (4,300 m / 14,107 ft) where we will meet the horses and muleteers who will accompany us to the first camp, that will take for about 3 or 4 hours in gradual tilt all the way to Jamchipacha village (4,550 m / 14,927 ft). Today we will have the chance to visit the local family and learn about their traditions and even share a little food with them; they are still the descendants of the Incas.
|Distance covered:||4.5 km (2.7 miles)|
|Time:||3 to 4 hours|
|Lowest elevation:||4,300m (14,107 ft)|
|Highest elevation:||4,550m ( 14,927 ft)|
|Level of difficulty:||Moderate to challenging|
Day 2.- Jamchipacha – Cerro Colorado (Rainbow mountain) – Cusco
You will have an early morning wake up call with a nice hot coca tea by one of our members, and then have a delicious breakfast before our Rainbow Mountain hike. Today the hike takes us to Rainbow mountain in a 3 hour incline. After we reach the Cerro Colorado, we will spend for about 30 or 40 minutes around to explore the place and take pictures, and then we will hike back down to Jamchipacha where we will have lunch before taking the 2 hour hike down to get our transport back to Cusco.
5 km (3,2miles)
|Time:||3 to 4 hours|
|Lowest elevation:||4,300 m (14,107 ft)|
|Highest elevation:||4,550 m ( 14,927 ft)|
|Level of difficulty:||Moderate to challenging|
Inclusions & exclusions
Included in the Rainbow mountain hike Peru:
- Transport to and from your hotel in Cusco
- Organic meals on the Rainbow Mountain Hike
- Horses to carry all the equipment (food, tents, chairs, table, etc.)
- Emergency horse for ride in case we need it
- Boiled drinking water from day 2 onwards to the end
- Trekking guide, knowledgeable in history, tradition, fauna and flora
- First aid kit, carried by your guide
- Equipment (sleeping tent, dining tent, kitchen tent, table, chairs, air mattresses)
- Duffle bag if needed
- Eight kilos (17,6 pounds) free bag for the horses where you can put your personal belongins
- One breakfast, 2 lunches, one dinner and snacks
Excluded in the Rainbow mountain hike Peru:
- Sleeping bag (can be rented from us)
- Tips for muleteers and guides
1. Machu Picchu tour: Since most of treks include Machu Picchu tours, after the trek we can organize this tour for you for an additional cost, since this trek takes place in the southern of Cusco and Machu Picchu is west of Cusco.
2. Huayna Picchu: In order to climb Huayna Picchu, you must book well in advance since permits are limited to 400 tickets per day. The cost is USD 55 per person, and that would be if you take the Machu Picchu tour.
3. Machu Picchu mountain: It is taller mountain than Huayna Picchu and offers you spectacular views of Machu Picchu and surroundings, and our clients like it even more than Huayna Picchu. To get to the top it will take you about 1,5 hours and another 1,5 hours back down. The tickets are asually available almost all the time, unlike Huayna Picchu. The cost is 50 USD per person.
Please inform us of your choice when you book the trek with us.
4. Personal horse: You can have a horse to ride all the way from the beginning to the end of the trek. The cost is USD 40 per day.
US$ 320 per person
Note: For one person contact us. Also if there are more menbers than 10 let us know for the best price.
In order for us to reserve your spot on this trek, you are required to send us the following information: full names, ,age, gender, nationality and make the relevant deposit as indicated below:
Once you have sent us the information of each person, make your deposit using PAYPAL. Once we have both, we will confirm your tour. Thank you so much for choosing PERU by LOCALS.
If you have any questions, send us an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
What to bring
What to bring for the Rainbow Mountain Hike Peru
- Original passport (if you have acquired a new one after you made your booking, bring both) if you are taking Machu Picchu tour
- Down sleeping bag (can be rented from us)
- Clothes (trekking boots, warm fleece jacket, few t-shirts, socks, sun hat, warm underwear, light long pants, gloves, rain jacket)
- Toiletries (toilet paper, wet wipes, personal towel)
- Sunscreen SPF 35+ recommended
- Head lamp
- Camera with spare batteries (batteries run down faster at high altitudes)
- Bug repellent for Machu Picchu
Rainbow mountain of Peru, also known as Vinicunca is a land full of desert landscapes, snow-capped glaciated peaks, herbs and pristine beauty. Your journey will be made more amazing because of the green landscapes and valleys making their way with you to the distant Ausangate Mountain towered at distance. We at Peru by Locals thrive to make your journey worth experience. We make a 2 days trek for you so that you can explore each corner of the trek and visit the rainbow mountain comfortably.
There is a point at the top of the Rainbow Mountain that gives you a 360-degree view of beautiful landscape which makes up a sacred land. To visit the precious Rainbow Mountains becomes the dream of everyone who sees the picture of these colorful mountains. Well, hiking the mountain is not a joke as there are many weather changes while you travel to the top of the mountains. We keep you informed about the weather conditions and make your hiking experience convenient. Reaching the ultimate destination is a joy in itself. Seeing the painted hills hidden deep in the Andes is no less than a heavenly feeling.
The first-day trek starts from Cusco i.e. we pick you up early in the morning from your hotel and then after a 3-hour drive you finally reach the beginning of the adventure. Along the way, there is a halt at the town of Checacupe. After a halt here, we will take you to the Quesino Village where horses and muleteers will join you for the rest of your journey. The difficulty level of the trek ranges from moderate to challenging. Here you also get a chance to meet the descendants of Incas and have a talk with them about the food and the culture of the Incas. The day one journey will end till you reach Culli Tarwi. Rainbow mountain hike is an amazing experience overall.
On the next day, you will have an early morning and you will have a cup of coffee with our crew members in the wonderful weather. Then, you will be offered with scrumptious breakfast which will include the traditional food of Incas as well. Today, in a 3-hour hike you will reach the wonderful Rainbow Mountains. Here, we make you spend about 40 minutes so that you can explore the place and take pictures. We also become a part of your family and help you in taking pictures. We thrive on your joyous experience. We make sure that you miss nothing important in those 30-40 minutes. Then we will make your hike back to the Jamchipacha where you will have your lunch so that you can get energy for a 2-hour hike back down to get your transport back to Cusco.
We make you explore the most amazing mountains in Peru with our clear insight. Our motive is to make your Rainbow Mountains Hike a wondrous experience. We adorn your journey with flowers and remove all the thorns for your hike beforehand!