„Sustainable tourism is an industry committed to making a low impact on the environment and local culture, while helping to generate future employment for local people. The positive of sustainable tourism is to ensure that development is a positive experience for local people, tourism companies and tourists themselves.“ (Wikipedia)
Considering the fact that Peru by Locals is 100% locally owned and very ecologically oriented, we want to be a part of and promote sustainable tourism as much as we can. We love the mountains we come from and want to preserve it as much as possible. That’s why we take this opportunity to ask you to join us on our quest!
We are committed to sustainable tourism by following:
- We are committed to protect and cherish our environment.
- We are committed to create jobs and empower local people. We believe in fair labour practices and honoring and treating all our employees with dignity.
- We have programs to help with the development of the porters’ families and communities, such as programs to plant trees and buy school books and school equipment for poor local communities.
- We have also started an Education Fund to support the education of the children of porters. A percentage of income from every tour and trek is allocated to this fund.
- On all our treks we use only organic food.
- We don’t pack package food because that makes too much garbage.
- We use biodegradable detergent to wash all the cooking equipment on all our treks.
- We recommend our guests to refill the water bottles they are taking on the trek, as that way we don’t produce more garbage than necessary.
Thank you for helping us in preserving the environment and being the part of the sustainable tourism!